Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Comments Policy

I've gotten a few questions on my comments policy. So here's the beginning of an answer.

The purpose of this blog is for me to connect with people who need my pastoral care. These are most often people who have been alienated by the sexism, homophobia, transphobia of church. They don't come here to read more sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. They, and other pastors who care for them, are my primary concern, their care is first for me.

A secondary purpose is to call the white church to account for our unconscious white supremacy. Racist comments don't really help me accomplish that purpose.

So no, this is in the public, but it isn't public space. It's *my* space, that I moderate, that I use for my purpose, and it's visible to the public only so that those who need me can find me. Good stewardship of my space, and of my pastoral charge to care for the people I'm called to care for, is to moderate the comments, and not approve hateful speech.

You have your own spaces, or you can create them. Rant about me all you want there. Link to my blog so other people can see my Jezebel spirit; I'm ok with the klout boost. But I don't provide this space so that you can further harass people already hurt by church, and comments are moderated to prevent you from using it as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment