Saturday, June 20, 2015

White worship after violent racism

If I were the pastor of a white Lutheran church this Sunday, I'd start worship with an exorcism. 

I wish I had all the words to convince you that subtle (and obvious) white supremacy is in our churches, but I just don't right now.  I wish I could tell you the million ways we act like white lives, hell, white feelings, are more important that Black lives.  Another post. 

But it can't go on.  So here's how I'd start worship.  A very traditional Lutheran Affirmation of Baptism rite, modified only slightly to make the meaning clear.



Dear Friends, In the light of the violent racism that has rocked our country, and God's call to us in our baptisms,
I ask you to profess your faith in Christ Jesus, reject sin, and confess the faith of the church.
 


Do you renounce the devil, the demon racism, and all the forces that defy God?

I renounce them.

Do you renounce the powers of this world that rebel against God, including white supremacy?

I renounce them.

Do you renounce the ways of sin that draw you from God and from your Black brothers and sisters?

I renounce them.

Say the Creed, as usual

You have made public profession of your faith. Do you intend to continue in the covenant God made with you in holy baptism:
to live among God's faithful people, of every color, race, and ethnicity,
to hear the word of God and share in the Lord's supper,
to proclaim the good news of God in Christ through word and deed,
to serve all people, following the example of Jesus,
and to strive for racial justice and peace in all the earth?

I do, and I ask God to help and guide me


People of God, do you promise to support each other and pray for each other as you seek to live these vows in your life in Christ?


We do, and we ask God to help and guide us.
 
Let us pray.

We give you thanks, O God, that through water and the Holy Spirit you give us new birth, cleanse us from sin, and raise us to eternal life.
 
God in heaven, for Jesus' sake,

stir up in us the gift of your Holy Spirit;

confirm our faith,

guide our life,

empower us in our serving,

give us patience in suffering,

and bring us to everlasting life.


Amen.
 

1 comment:

  1. Just wonderful! I have stolen this as you intended all along. Peace dear friend in Christ

    ReplyDelete